Certified Internal Control Assessor. Get Certified
Do you have an internal control assessment role? Do you want to understand how to use the COSO model to assess internal control? This certification program will help you use the 5 components, 17 principles, and focus areas of COSO in your assessment work. Become a leader in the field of internal control assessment, unlock new career opportunities and increase your earning potential by Joining the community of Certified Internal Control Assessors. With our advanced certification program, you'll be able to confidently evaluate and report on the effectiveness of internal controls in any organization.
Format: Multiple choice
Language: English / French
Passing Score: 70%
Renewal: After 3 years
Exam mode: online & proctored based
CICA Self-Study Exam Prep
- Personalized digital books (Newest edition)
- Online study tools with quizzes, practice exam, learning activities and resource center (instructor support not included)
- Practice tests
- Exam Content Manual (PDF)
- Study tips and exam techniques
- Interactive Learning Tools
- Progress Tracking
- Discussion Forum
- Online Access Period (180 days)
GECB CICA Certification Exams
- Your Exam is online and proctored based
- Use a webcam and a reliable internet connection
- Take your exam anywhere and anytime
- Get results immediately
- Receive your digital badge and share your achievement instantly
- Use your premium certification right away
- Access our certification registry anytime for online verification
- You pay no additional costs for 3 years
CICA Learning System + Exam + 2nd Chance
- CICA Learning System and exam voucher
- 2nd Chance Exam (restrictions apply)
- Digital books, online quizzes and test with immediate feedback
- Online study tools with quizzes, practice exams, learning activities and resource center (instructor support not included
- CICA Exam Content Manual (ECM)
- Hours of pre-recorded video courses
- A digital badge and premium certificate
- Up to 3 years of certification validity (Renewable)
The effectiveness of monitoring depends largely on the quality and competence of the personnel responsible for assessing the adequacy, effectiveness and efficiency of internal controls at all levels in the organization.
The Certified Internal Control Assessor Program provides a methodology that uses the COSO model as a basis for evaluating the effectiveness of the corporation’s system of internal control. Although the COSO framework was developed to help organizations design and implement a system of internal control, enterprise risk management, and fraud deterrence, it is also a powerful tool used all over the world for assessing the adequacy and effectiveness of internal control systems.
The CICA designation is available to professionals responsible for the audit, review, or evaluation of internal controls and internal controls systems. Those typically eligible for the CICA include Internal Auditors, External Auditors, Operational Auditors, Compliance Auditors, Consultants, Forensic Accountants and CFEs, Inspector Generals, Audit Committee Members, etc., and include all types of auditors including Financial, Operational, IT, Fraud, Risk Management, etc., as well as non-auditors who have the responsibility to review internal controls and internal controls system either formally or informally, evaluate the adequacy of internal controls, and make recommendations for the improvement of internal controls and internal controls systems.
Why getting certified
Getting certified as a Certified Internal Control Assessor demonstrates your expertise in evaluating and assessing an organization’s internal control systems according to the COSO framework. This certification will enhance your professional credentials, improve your marketability, and demonstrate your commitment to excellence in internal controls assessment. Additionally, it can help you to increase your earning potential and advance your career in internal audit, internal control, risk management, and compliance.
To be eligible for our Certified Internal Control Assessor program, candidates must meet the following requirements:
- Holding a bachelor’s or higher degree from an accredited institution
- Having a minimum of one (1) year of experience in audit, risk, control, compliance or related fields
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills
- Demonstrating advanced knowledge and skills in audit, control and risk assessment, such as through Completion of an approved CICA training program or equivalent education
- Passing score on the CICA certification exam.
- Being a CICRP certified in good standing
- One (1) or more years of practical experience in audit, risk, control, compliance or related fields
- Completion of an E-Course is not mandatory from GECB portal, but we highly recommend doing the E-Course as maximum number of questions are drawn from the E-Course in the actual exam.
Application and exam
- Step 1: Determine your eligibility
- Step 2: Choose your learning option
- Step 2: Purchase your CICA bundle
- Step 3: Receive your personalized manual and study it deeply
- Step 4: Schedule your exam (day and time)
- Step 5: Get certified in case of successful completion
- Step 6: Receive your digital badge and premium certificate suitable for framing
- Step 7: Check your certification status at any time on the GECB website
Each GECB certificate is valid for three (3) years. For your certification to remain active in our registry, you must simply demonstrate minimum Continuing Professional Education (CPEs) or development and pay the required recertification fees (149 USD for 3 years). A new premium digital certificate is then issued by our Global Certification Board.
- Module 1 Introduction to Internal Control Assessment
Module 2 Internal Control Assessment Process
Session 4 COSO Internal Control Application Areas
Session 5 Assessing the Control Environment Component
Session 6 Assessing the Risk Assessment Component
Session 7 Assessing the Control Activities Component
Session 8 Assessing the Information and Communication Component
Session 9 Assessing the Monitoring and Reporting Component
Module 10 Determining the Internal Control Systems Maturity
Learning options for any study style
Ideal for self-starters and those with unpredictable schedules. The self-study option means you can learn on your own anytime, day or night — whatever best accommodates your schedule. The Learning System includes both digital books and access to an online, interactive platform. Contact us.
Ideal for individuals who prefer a structured study environment. Instructor-led classes are offered by approved GECB partners worldwide. These traditional classes combine the Learning System with the guidance of a GECB-recognized instructor and provide valuable peer discussion and networking. Contact us.
Ideal for those who want instructor support but can’t attend classes at a set time. Instructor-supported online classes are offered either through pre-recorded video courses or personalized assistance. You may be assigned one instructor for the duration of your program, but there is no required meeting time, so you can complete assignments on your own schedule. Contact us.
Corporate and group
Ideal for small and large groups for self-study or instructor-led classes. We’ll help you organize groups of self-study or instructor-led classes virtually. Whether participants are local to one site or geographically dispersed, structured learning and online group reporting will help track progress and optimize your training investment. Contact us.